Sunday, October 7

Where's that Runner Bean?

So would you believe that Sara and I signed up for the Bangkok Midnight Run? We've been in training for a while now, and the big night is next week. It sounds quite cool in that they close off the centre of Bangkok, and several thousand people hare round (or tortoise round as the case may be) the streets at midnight. The idea behind the timing is that it's cooler, but unfortunately only by a couple of degrees or so. And let me tell you that running in Bangkok is a pretty messy affair. It's difficult to conceive of the amount of sweat the human body is capable of producing. After a few miles, I generally lose the ability to see due to the stream of salt. And after 4 miles, my shoes simply slide off.
Today we went running in Lumpini Park, Bangkok's take on Hyde Park and a popular jogging spot at dusk. I'm always amused by the bizarre spectacle of hundreds of runners frozen in unison for a minute at 6pm as the National Anthem is played.