Thursday, September 1

I think I over-ordered on the technicians

Well, we weren't going to get a telly, but for those moments when you just can't be bothered, it seems like a good option. However, it's not as straightforward as just buying a TV - English language stuff is only on cable or satellite, so I had to get us connected. Now, given my Thai is still at a rather basic level, you can understand that things like this aren't totally simple. But after several phone calls to various people, a few of which even got past the exchange of confused 'hellos', I believed I had arranged for connection the following day. In fact, I'd excelled myself - at 10am, the cable guy arrived in his truck, and went off to look for the access box. Meanwhile, two further satellite trucks turned up outside within 10 minutes of each other. So I have a total of 6 UBC technicians, somewhat confused at each other's presence, and I'm completely unable to communicate with them. But after an extended game of charades, they whack a satellite dish on the roof, and get me set up. So I can now happily watch 'classic' episodes of Ready Steady Cook on BBC Prime. Fantastic. Oh, and I also seem to get live coverage of all Premiership matches thrown in. Just a shame that I'd rather chew my own arm off than watch a game of football...